Monday 7 February 2011

What I did at the Crop by Julia Dunnit

See, Mary Anne, under orders from oh, everyone that comes to Ludgershall Crop, had brought some of her mini albums, albums and a handful of projects for us all to look at. Man, they were gorgeous. She recognised the look of unspoken and frankly unashamed begging in my eyes and gracefully gave in. She offered us a class. So at this month's Crop, after lunch and before tea, she showed us with skill, patience and a lot of attention re-focussing, how to make this picture frame. The idea actually was to make two and join them with a hinge for folding together. Lovely. Except my first was erm...not very acceptable. It's in the re-do it pile. I managed to cut the frame aperture out perfectly straight and then discover it's a bit too left of centre. Still, this one's a good 'un, and a great way to use my lovely Fimo roses that I've been wittering on about for about 3 weeks! I got the mould from Crafty Notions' Sarah and all I did to them was wipe a teeny amount of white acrylic paint across them to highlight the relief a bit. Pearl-Ex would have been good too - but I wanted to have something finished before I had to come home!
I'm still messing with the diamante blibs, I thought the trailing look was OK, but am now going to dig out the old swirls template and see if I can't go completely overboard. Now, Mary Anne said that in order to get the most out of the work she'd put into the photographic step by step instructions, she'd offer them on her blog as a pdf file. I've been over there and guess what - pdf, and a video....wow. Now y'all - not only is this incredibly generous, her samples were amazingly gorgeously worth a trip to her blog anyway for a looksee and also - this frame is made from foam core board - which makes it incredibly light - which makes it a fab present for your far-aways. All round brilliance, Mary Anne. Nobody at the Crop is prepared to follow that!

17 comments:

Scrapcat 1 said...

Love the frame Julia your little roses look fabulous on it and I like the trailing effect of your stones.

Anonymous said...

You definitely found the perfect project for those beautiful roses Julia. No wonder no one is willing to follow Mary Anne!!

Hugs
Brenda

Daniele said...

lovely elegant frame and its pink.....yay
hugs

Deanne said...

i adore those roses julia :) i'm in the process of designing some buttons to sell :) xx

Helen said...

The roses accent this frame beautifully.

misteejay said...

Super use for your roses - the frame is lovely.

Toni :o)

Twiglet said...

Good way to use those little roses Julia!

Sue said...

Hi Julia
gorgeous frame, your roses look beautiful, sue,x

Angie said...

Wow ...the PERFECT use for your beautiful roses.

Lyn said...

Oooo, that is lovely! I have a hankering after fimo and moulds at the mo and those GORGEOUS roses have made my mind up to have a play.

Anonymous said...

Julia. I DIED laughing at B&E's blog over your comment that you journal in the third person.
xx,
Amy

Scrapcollectr said...

Gor-juss frame, Julia, and nice to see what became of the fimo roses (this gives me closure....*smile*). Thanks for the blog info!
And thx for visiting me, on a non-WOYWW, no less!
:-)

Scrapcollectr said...

Thanks for the compliments! I had fun with that sketchbook project and found that it's true, the greatest inspiration IS the deadline since I created about 20 of those pages in one evening! Lol. I'm inspired to do it again....I'll let u know if that happens! *smile*

Jingle said...

This is so pretty!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I went to Mary Anne's blog and she does gorgeous work. I can see why you waffled on about it. I see she also named the class for you! What a hoot. Love what you've done so far. Now it's time to finish the other side and turn it into a stunner. BTW, I've never heard of templates for swirls before. What will they think of next?

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wonderful, what you've made with the roses! at least they didn't take 4 years to use!

Carole Campanile said...

Lovely frame Julie. I like how you used your roses.